Cabinet Makers and Restorers Group
These members are interested in the discipline of woodworking that involves the creation of cabinets as well as fine wooden furniture, and also in furniture restoration. The cabinetmakers normally meet on the second Saturday of each month, at the various workshops of members to exchange ideas and information and to demonstrate techniques. They work according to an annual program and their work forms a major part of the annual exhibition of members’ work. Click here to view their program – calendar or summary.
See the “Upcoming Events” section for more detail of future meetings, and the “Past Events information” section for previous topics.
The Group’s objectives are to get our members involved, active and to fuel our passion for woodworking.
The objectives are:
1. To inspire more members to get active in woodworking
2. To assist beginner members by way of a mentorship process
3. To learn more from each other by building the same project through Focus Groups
4. To get more items of cabinetry at the annual exhibition.
5. To encourage members to inform us of their projects by “show and tell”.
The following members with the necessary experience and know-how have declared themselves willing to act as mentors at no charge. That means that other members may contact them to arrange for training. This is how it works:
1. Appointments for training will be entirely at the convenience of the Mentor.
2. It will not be demonstrations but actual practical hands on participation of the Trainee member.
3. Trainee members must be willing to bring along their own wood, chisels (and other items)
4. Please consult the Membership List for contact details of the Mentors
Training offered Mentor
- Hand tool sharpening Louw Trichardt
- Wood turning for furniture Willie Marneweck
- Basic preparation of rough planks Paul Roberts
- Spray application of finish Willie Marneweck
Die volgende lede met die nodige ervaring en kennis het hulle bereid verklaar om teen geen vergoeding hulle as mentors beskikbaar te stel. Dit beteken dat ander lede hulle kan kontak om ‘n reëlingte tref vir opleiding. Dit werk so:
1. Afsprake vir opleiding sal geheel en al volgens die Mentor se gerief wees.
2. Dit sal nie demonstrasies wees nie, maar werklike praktiese saamdoen van die Leerling lid
3. Leerling lede moet bereid wees om hulle eie hout, beitels (en ander lemme vir
skerpmaak), spuitgewere, ens, saam te bring na die Mentor se werkwinkel.
4. Raadpleeg asb die Ledelys vir die Mentors se kontakbesonderhede
Opleiding aangebied Mentor
- Hand gereedskap skerpmaak Louw Trichardt
- Hout draaiwerk vir meubels Willie Marneweck
- Basiese voorbereiding van rowwe planke Paul Roberts
- Spuit aanwending van afwerking Willie Marneweck
One of the activities to learn from each other is to work on the same project simultaneously – this is done through Focus Groups. We aim to run these common projects concurrently and are on a Basic, Advanced or Masterpiece level to ensure that all members across all skill levels can participate.
As an example, you can join a group that makes a chess board (Basic), a jewelry box or chair (Advanced), or maybe a Fine Woodworking Workbench or Lowboy (Masterpiece).
These focus groups will meet a few times during the project to discuss and share their progress, tips and techniques.
The highlight on the association’s calendar is each year’s Exhibition in October. Cabinet Making and Restoration items are judged according to the skill levels required to make the project, Basic, Advanced or Masterpiece.
Entries will be judged according to the following criteria for items entered in the cabinet making and restoration categories. The documents are available in PDF and Excel format. Please note that part 1 must be completed by the exhibitor before the Exhibition.
Cabinet Judging Criteria PDF Excel
Restoration Judging Criteria PDF Excel
Management Committee and Enquiries
This group’s management committee members are:
- Dylan van Graan, Co-ordination and management as well as contact with the CM&R membership;
- André Swanepoel
- Peter Honegger
- Corneel du Toit