These members are interested in the discipline of woodworking that involves the creation of cabinets as well as fine wooden furniture, and also in furniture restoration. The cabinetmakers meet normally on the second Saturday of each month, at the various workshops of members to exchange ideas and information and to demonstrate techniques. (Next meeting) They work according to an annual programme and their work form a major part of the annual exhibition of member’s work.
The Group’s objectives for this year are to get our members involved and active.
The objectives are:
1. To inspire more members to get active in woodworking
2. To assist beginner members by way of a mentorship process
3. To get more items of cabinetry at the annual exhibition.
4. To get more involvement in Project Plank
5. To encourage members to inform us of their projects by “show and tell”.
CM&R Programme 2018
|CM&R Meeting Dates 2018||Main Topics|
|20 January||Mortice and Tenon Joints|
|10 March||Kitchen design, manufacture and installation|
|14 April||Wood carving|
|12 May||Woodturning for Cabinet Makers|
|14 July||Setting up a workshop|
|11 August||Application of Veneered Boards in Cabinet Making|
|8 September||Visit ERWA Woodworking Fair|
|15 September||Group Projects (Lowboy, Boxes, Toolbox)|
|6 & 7 October||Exhibition|
|13 October||Laser engraving and CNC applications|
|10 November||Wood bending|
Details of speakers/presenters and venues will be provided later.
The following criteria will be used fr the judging of items entered in the cabinet making and restoration categories. The documents are availble in PDF and Excel format. Please note that part 1 must be completed by the exhibitor before the Exhibition.
The following members with the necesessary experience and know how have declared themselves willing to act as mentors at no charge. That means that other members may contact them to arrange for training. This is how it works:
- Appointments for training will be entirely at the convenience of the Mentor.
- It will not be demonstrations but actual practical hands on participation of the Trainee member.
- Trainee members must be willing to bring along their own wood, chisels (and other items)
- Please consult the Membership List for contact details of the Mentors
Training offered Mentor
- Hand tool sharpening Louw Trichardt
- Wood turning for furniture Willie Marneweck
- Basic preparation of rough planks Paul Roberts
- Spray application of finish Willie Marneweck
Die volgende lede met die nodige ervaring en kennis het hulle bereid verklaar om teen geen
vergoeding hulle as mentors beskikbaar te stel. Dit beteken dat ander lede hulle kan kontak
om ‘n reëlingte tref vir opleiding. Dit werk so:
1. Afsprake vir opleiding sal geheel en al volgens die Mentor se gerief wees.
2. Dit sal nie demonstrasies wees nie, maar werklike praktiese saamdoen van die Leerling lid
3. Leerling lede moet bereid wees om hulle eie hout, beitels (en ander lemme vir
skerpmaak), spuitgewere, ens, saam te bring na die Mentor se werkwinkel.
4. Raadpleeg asb die Ledelys vir die Mentors se kontakbesonderhede
Opleiding aangebied Mentor
- Hand gereedskap skerpmaak Louw Trichardt
- Hout draaiwerk vir meubels Willie Marneweck
- Basiese voorbereiding van rowwe planke Paul Roberts
- Spuit aanwending van afwerking Willie Marneweck